Get eating those wholesome fats!...Does this sound contradictory?
For years we've been on a low fat diet resulting in taking out natural and good high-quality fats for the body, and bringing in hydrogenated, processed "trans fats" that create a number of disrupters in our systems.
High quality fat:
Helps absorb vitamins and minerals, steadies our metabolism, nourishes hair, skin, and nails, keeps hormone levels even, and works as an anti-inflammatory!
Poor quality fat:
Trans fats bring strain on our liver, compromise the immune system, bring high blood pressure, weight gain, cardiovascular problems, and even behavioral problems and skin breakouts.
Sources of Good Fats! ↓
- Avocados, olives, coconuts, wild salmon and omega-3 rich organic eggs.
- Whole nuts and seeds, and their butters like almond butter or tahini
- High quality organic oils that say: organic, first-pressed, cold- pressed, extra-virgin, and unrefined. Avoid expeller-pressed, refined, and solvent extracted.
- High temperature (stir frying or baking) use butter, ghee (clarified butter, or coconut oil.
- Saute with organic extra virgin olive oil
- For sauces or dressings: flaxseed, sesame, toasted sesame, walnut, and pumpkin seed are best used unheated
Recipe by Institute for Integrative Nutrition
Prep Time: 3 minutes Makes 1 cup
1 large peeled and pitted avocado
2/3 cup plain yogurt, goat yogurt, coconut yogurt, or almond yogurt 1 diced tomato
a squirt of lemon or lime juice
dash or two of cayenne pepper
sea salt and black pepper
1. Mash avocado with a fork until very smooth.
2. Add yogurt, tomato, cayenne. Blend until smooth. This may be done in a food processor, in a blender, or with a fork.
3. Add sea salt and fresh black pepper to taste.
4. Serve chilled with mixed raw vegetables.
(Tip: Best made a maximum of 1 hour before serving.)
Want more lifestyle and health understanding? Want to know how Health Coaching can get you closer to the health you are striving for?
Go ahead and sign up for a FREE Consultation with me or pass along this offer to someone you care about! We'll get started by Getting in Touch with where you are and where you want to go!
Article sources: © 2004, 2013 Integrative Nutrition, Inc.
Check out my training Institute! http://www.integrativenutrition.com